Wilfrid Augustine Hodges
born 27 May 1941
M.A. D.Phil. FBA.
E-mail my first and last names with a dot between them, at
Current appointments etc.
- 1992- Scientific Council, European Association for Computer Science
- Scientific Advisory Committee, ILLC, University of Amsterdam.
- 2007- Consultant on logic, Oxford English Dictionary.
- 2008- WoLLIC Steering Committee.
- 2009- Fellow of the British Academy.
- 2009- Emeritus Professor, Queen Mary, University of London.
- 2010- Board, IfCoLog.
- 2010- Associate Member, Iranian Institute of Philosophy, Tehran.
- 2016- Membership Secretary, The Dartmoor Society.
See also below under Editorial.
- 1959-65 full-time student, New College Oxford
- 1961 Classical Moderations (first class honours)
- 1963 Literae Humaniores (first class honours)
- 1965 Theology B.A. (first class honours)
- 1970 D.Phil. in Faculty of Lit. Hum., Oxford, "Some questions on the structure of models" (under supervision of J. N. Crossley).
- 1967-8 Acting Assistant Professor in Department of Philosophy,
University of California at Los Angeles.
- 1968-74 Lecturer in Departments of Philosophy and Mathematics,
Bedford College, University of London.
- 1974-81 Lecturer in Department of Mathematics, Bedford College.
- 1979-80 Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
University of Colorado at Boulder.
- 1981-4 Reader in Mathematical Logic, University of London, at
- 1984-7 Reader in Mathematical Logic, University of London, at Queen
- 1987-2006 Professor of Mathematics, University of London, at Queen
- 1987-9 Deputy Head of Department, School of Mathematical Sciences,
Queen Mary College.
- 1990-3 Dean of Informatics and Mathematical Sciences, Queen Mary and
- 1999-2003 Deputy Head of Department, School of Mathematical
Sciences, Queen Mary, University of London.
- 2006-8 Professorial Fellow, School of Mathematical Sciences, Queen
Mary, University of London.
Teaching and supervision
Courses taught include:
Analysis and calculus; College algebra; Complexity and optimisation in operational research; Discrete techniques for computing; Differential equations; Ethics; Galois theory; Geometry; Graph theory and applications; Logic; Logic for mathematical writing; Module theory; Moral and political philosophy; Philosophy of religion.
Courses taught include: Sets, logic and categories; Prolog; Rings and modules; Universal algebra.
Number of Ph.D. theses completed under my supervision: 13, viz.
- 1972 A. J. Wilkie, Models of number theory.
- 1973 D. A. Bryars, On the syntactic characterisation of some model theoretic relations.
- 1973 S. C. Jackson, The model theory of abelian groups.
- 1975 M. Mortimer, Some topics in model theory.
- 1977 P. K. Rogers, The model theory of abelian and nilpotent groups.
- 1977 A. Pillay, The number of countable models of a first-order theory.
- 1980 E. Nemesszeghy, On the notion of negation in certain non-classical logics. (In Philosophy department)
- 1980 C. Kalfa, Decision problems concerning sets of equations.
- 1982 A. L. Pope, Some applications of set theory to algebra.
- 1983 S. R. Thomas, Classification theory of simple locally finite groups.
- 1985 I. M. Hodkinson, Building many uncountable rings by constructing many different Aronszajn trees.
- 1992 G. M. Weetman, Groups acting flag-transitively on simplicial
- 1995 J. Clark, Model-theoretic classification of topological
M.Phil. theses completed under my supervision
- 1980 S. W. Salem, Sheaves in model theory.
- 1988 Pan Geng, Interpreting groups in linear orderings.
In 1999 I was one of two recipients of the first Drapers' Prize for Excellence in Teaching, Queen Mary, University of London.
College and departmental committees and responsibilities
- Secretary, Philosophy Departmental Board 1971-3.
- Secretary, Mathematics Departmental Board 1973-6.
- Space Committee 1973-4.
- Academic Board (Faculty of Science representative) 1977-9.
- Organising Committee, Mathematics Sixth-form Conference 1973-83.
- Admission of MSc. students for pure mathematics 1984-90. Admission of Ph.D. students for pure mathematics 1987-90.
- Various committees as dean 1990-3.
- Undergraduate admissions to School of Math. Sciences 1993-9.
- Clerical Review panel 1993-6.
- Working party on criteria for promotion to senior lecturer 1993-4.
- Chair, Examination Offences Panel 1994-2000.
- Chair, Clerical Review Committee 1994-5.
- Working party on future of the Registry 1997-8.
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, School of Mathematical Sciences 1999-2003.
- Quality Enhancement Committee 1999-2003.
- Teaching and Learning Quality Enhancement Group 1999-2003.
- Continuation Audit Group 1999-2000.
- 1978 Science Research Council Grant GR/A/52997: Senior Visiting
Fellowship on behalf of Professor Saharon Shelah.
- 1981 Royal Society grant (Israel Academy Programme) for visit to
Model Theory Year, Institute for Advanced Studies, Jerusalem, 25 March -
15 April 1981.
- 1983 Science and Engineering Research Council Grant GR/C/30672:
Visiting Fellowship on behalf of Dr Roman Kossak.
- 1984 British Council grant for two weeks' visit to Department of
Mathematics, University of Paris VII, in Spring 1984.
- 1985 British Council grant for travel to Department of Mathematics,
University of Paris VI, in Spring 1985.
- 1985 Science and Engineering Research Council Grant GR/D/33298:
£23,870 for research assistant for two years, to work in "Permutation
groups applied to model theory".
- 1987 Science and Engineering Research Council Grant GR/E/06732:
Visiting Fellowship of £1901 on behalf of Professor Bruno Poizat for
three months' visit to Queen Mary College.
- 1987 Science and Engineering Research Council Grant GR/E/06466:
Visiting Fellowship of £1110 on behalf of Dr Ehud Hrushovski for one
month's visit to Queen Mary College.
- 1987 with P. J. Higgins and P. M. Neumann: Science and Engineering
Research Council Grant GR/E/36982: £21,715 for Durham Symposium, July
1988, on Model Theory and Groups, organised with Neumann and Otto Kegel.
- 1988 Science and Engineering Research Council Grant GR/E/67412:
Visiting Fellowship of £1385 on behalf of Dr Simon R. Thomas for two
months' visit to Queen Mary College.
- 1988 Science and Engineering Research Council Grant GR/E91639:
Visiting Fellowship of £1011 on behalf of Professor Saharon Shelah for
one month's visit to Queen Mary College.
- 1989 Science and Engineering Research Council Grant GR/F22234:
Visiting Fellowship of £1667 on behalf of Professor M. Rubin for one
month's visit to QMW.
- 1989 Science and Engineering Research Council Grant GR/F22258:
Visiting Fellowship of £2588 on behalf of Professor Anand Pillay for two
months' visit to QMW.
- 1989 (with Dugald Macpherson) Science and Engineering Research
Council Grant GR/F22241 for a research assistant (Deirdre Haskell) for
- 1990 Royal Society grant for visit to Karl-Weierstrass-Institut,
Akademie der Wissenschaften der DDR, 2-26 September 1990.
- 1992 (with Dugald Macpherson) Science and Engineering Research
Council Grant GR/H25324: Visiting Fellowship of £2770 on behalf of Dr
Ludomir Newelski for a month's visit to QMW.
- 1994 INTAS grant of up to 20,000 ecus for network of research groups
in Kazakhstan and western Europe, on 'Combinatorial questions in model
- 1994 Joint with John Bell, EPSRC grant for research assistant for 3
years on 'Implementing nonmonotonic logics'.
- 1999 London Mathematical Society grant of £500 for visiting lecturer
- 2000 Royal Society grant of £2620 for visitor Bektur Baizhanov
- 2000 Royal Society grant of £1970 for visitor Serban Basarab
Conference on Model Theory, Université Catholique de Louvain.
Logic Workshop, Free University, Berlin.
Conference 'Modelltheorie der Gruppen', Oberwolfach, W. Germany.
Mathematical Logic Seminar, University of Oslo.
Association for Symbolic Logic joint meeting with American Mathematical Society, Boulder, Colorado, USA.
Midwest Model Theory Seminar, Bowling Green, Ohio, USA.
Meeting of Deutsche Ver. Math. Logik Grundl., Oberwolfach.
Meeting on Universal Algebra, Oberwolfach.
Conference sur les ensembles ordonnées, Lyon.
25th Arbeitstagung in Universal Algebra, Darmstadt.
British Mathematical Colloquium, Aberdeen.
European meeting of Association for Symbolic Logic, Aachen.
Conference on model theory and complexity, Institute Poincaré, Paris.
Wintersymposium, Nederlandse Vereniging voor Logica en Wijsbegeerte der Exacte Natuurwetenschappen, Utrecht.
2nd East German Easter Conference in Model Theory,
3rd East German Easter Conference in Model Theory, Gross Köris.
Conference on PROLOG and its relevance to philosophy (Nuffield Foundation), King's College London.
Conference on "Model theory, model-theoretic algebra and models of arithmetic", Notre Dame, Indiana.
European meeting of Association for Symbolic Logic, Granada.
Mid-Atlantic Mathematical Logic Seminar, Rutgers University.
6th East German Easter Conference in Model Theory,
VII Congrés Català de Lógica, Barcelona.
Annual Conference, Belgian Mathematical Society, Brussels.
Conference on "Abelsche Gruppen", Oberwolfach.
Conference on Algebra and Logic, in memory of A. I. Mal'tsev, Novosibirsk.
9th Easter Conference in Model Theory, Berlin.
Semantik von Programmiersprachen und Modelltheorie, Dagstuhl Castle, Saarland.
Mid-Atlantic Mathematical Logic Seminar, Rutgers University.
Encuentro de Logica y Filosofia de la Ciencia, Madrid.
British Colloquium for Theoretical Computer Science, Newcastle University.
Association for Logic Programming UK, City University, London.
Mathematics and Music, A Weekend Course, Department of Continuing
Théorie des modèles, Association Henri Poincaré,
Séminaire d'histoire des mathématiques, Université Paris 6.
LOGFIT Final Workshop, Leeds.
Dagstuhl Conference on Semantics of Programming Languages.
Oberwolfach meeting on Abelsche Gruppen.
Oberwolfach meeting on Model Theory.
British Mathematical Colloquium, Cardiff.
Conference 'Logic and its applications', University of Amsterdam.
Colloquium Logicum, Deutsche Logikverein, Neuseddinland, Berlin.
Théorie des Modèles, Université d'Angers.
Conference in Model Theory, University of Seville.
Workshop on Games, Processes and Logic, Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge.
Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation, Salvador, Brazil.
Mathematics Summer School on Neural Networks, Kings College
Universal Algebra, Szeged.
FoLLI Workshop on Logics for Linguistics, Philosophy, and Cognitive Science, Chiba University, Japan.
Conference on A level Mathematics, King's College London.
Conference in Model Theory, Luminy.
Logic Colloquium '97, Leeds.
Amsterdam Logic Conference, Workshop on Logical Games.
German-Polish Workshop on Logic and Logical Philosophy, Zagan (Poland).
Plenary lecture, 10th European Summer School in Language, Logic and Information, Saarbruecken.
Meeting on Model Theory and Combinatorics, Hattingen.
Frontiers of Logic, King's College London.
Meeting in memory of Mostowski and Rasiowa, Warsaw.
CEIC section, Future of Electronic Communication, Berkeley.
Logic Colloquium 2000, Paris.
Meeting on Intensionality, Munich.
Second Augustus De Morgan meeting on History of Logic, Kings College London.
Meeting in honour of Jaakko Hintikka, Helsinki.
Model Theory conference, Istanbul.
Centenary Conference on Alfred Tarski, Warsaw.
Meeting in honour of Melvin Fitting, City University of New York
Sémantique et Epistémologie, Casablanca.
Spinoza Lecture, ESSLLI, Trento.
ICM 2002 Satellite Conference on Electronic
Information and Communication in Mathematics, Beijing.
Retirement conference for Daniel Lascar, Paris.
Logica, Kravsko Castle, Moravia.
International Congress in Logic, Methodology and
Philosophy of Science, Oviedo.
First Order Logic (75th year), Humboldt University, Berlin.
Models in Science and Technology, Dutch-Flemish Network for Philosophy of Science and Technology, Ravenstein.
New Aspects of Compositionality, Paris.
Logic 2005, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
Peri Hermeneias Symposium, Cambridge.
Methods of Logic in Mathematics, Euler International Institute, St Petersburg.
Annual Meeting, Logic Association of Kolkata.
Interactive Logic: Games and Social Software, Kings College London.
Workshop on Semantic Processing, Logic and Cognition, Tuebingen.
The Topics in the Arabic and Latin Traditions, CRASSH, Cambridge.
Logic, Models and Computer Science, in memory of Sauro Tulipani, Camerino.
Tools for Teaching Logic, Salamanca.
International Conference on Logic, Navya-Nyaya and
Applications, Homage to Matilal, Kolkata.
International Seminar on Necessity and Contingency, Dept of Philosophy, University of Calcutta.
2nd World Congress on Universal Logic, Xi'an.
A Day of Mathematical Logic, Amsterdam.
Aesthetics and Mathematics, Utrecht.
Retirement conference for Gabriel Sabbagh, Paris VII.
Workshop on use of ideal and imaginary elements and methods in mathematics, Pont-à-Mousson.
Workshop on practice-based philosophy of logic and mathematics, Amsterdam.
Memorial conference for Maria Panteki, Thessaloniki.
Sixtieth birthday conference for Oleg Belegradek, Istanbul.
Fundamental Structures of Algebra, for Şerban Basarab 70th birthday, Constanta, Romania.
History of Science in Practice, Athens.
Antalya Algebra Days, Antalya, Turkey.
Workshop "Modern Formalisms for Pre-Modern Indian Logic and Epistemology", Hamburg.
A snapshot of logic: some recent results in mathematical logic, University of East Anglia (London campus).
Meeting in Honor of Jouko Väänänen's 60th Birthday, Helsinki.
World Philosophy Day, Tehran.
'Logic and philosophy of logic, traditional and modern', Iranian Institute of Philosophy, Tehran.
SIHSPAI International Colloquium on 'Philosophy and science in classical islamic civilisation', London.
British Post Graduate Model Theory Conference, Leeds.
Conversazione in Philosophy of Mathematics, Cambridge.
Presidential Address, 14th International Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Nancy, France.
Workshop on History of Logic, Brussels.
Workshop on later Arabic logic and philosophy of language, Cambridge.
Workshop on the Roots of Deduction, Groningen.
Ancient and Arabic Logic, CNRS, Paris.
Tarski Workshop, Amsterdam.
Medieval modal logic, St Andrews.
Dependence Logic, Dagstuhl.
Proof-Theoretic Semantics, Tübingen.
Meeting on Arabic Logic, Cambridge.
Avicenna and Avicennisms, SOAS.
'Meaning, Concept and Conception in the Arabic tradition', Göteborg.
British Postgraduate Model Theory Conference, Manchester.
Closing workshop of project Roots of Deduction, Groningen.
Conference 'Two philosophers of being: Mulla Sadra and Martin Heidegger', Kosovo Philosophical Association, Prishtina
London Mathematical Society.
London Mathematical Society Popular Lecture, in Leeds and
London, and on videotape.
British Association for the Advancement of Science, Belfast.
Mathematical Association, Leicestershire branch.
British Society for the Philosophy of Science.
London Mathematical Society lecture for Week of Science and
Welsh Pure Mathematics Society, Gregynog.
British Association for the Advancement of Science, Cardiff.
Institute of Physics.
Cognitive Science Society, 23rd Annual Meeting, Edinburgh.
Joint Session of Aristotelian Society and Mind Association,
Annual meeting, British Logic Colloquium, Manchester.
Annual meeting of HoDoMS, Greenwich.
Annual meeting, British Logic Colloquium, London.
British Society for History of Mathematics, meeting on De Morgan, London.
Talks given at Universities of: Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge,
Canterbury, Edinburgh, Essex, Exeter, Hull, Kent, Leeds, Leicester,
Liverpool, London (including Computer Science LiveNet seminar),
Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford, St Andrews, Sheffield,
Surrey, Sussex, Swansea, UMIST, Warwick, York, the Open University;
Amsterdam; Barcelona; Calgary, Alberta; Delft University of Technology;
Humboldt-University, Berlin; University of Bonn; University of
California at Irvine; University of California at Los Angeles;
University of Colorado at Boulder; University of Illinois at Chicago
Circle; University of Freiburg; Hebrew University, Jerusalem; University
of Heidelberg; University of Helsinki; Wesleyan University, Middletown,
Connecticut; International University, Moscow; University of Munich; University of New Mexico
at Albuquerque; University of New Mexico at Las Cruces; Notre Dame
University, Indiana; Mathematical Institute of Russian Academy of
Sciences, Novosibirsk, Siberia; Stanford University; Steklov Institute,
St Petersburg; University of Ohio at Columbus; State University of Omsk,
Siberia; University of Paris VI; University of Paris VII; University of
Passau, Germany; Bar Ilan University, Tel Aviv; University of Tuebingen;
University of Tver', Russia; Simon Fraser University, Vancouver BC, Canada.
- 1988 10-hour course on Stability Theory, given at the University of
Utrecht, for Dutch Mathematical Society.
- 1990 12-hour course on "Structures oméga-catégoriques", given at the University of Paris 7.
- 1991 10-hour course on "Definitions", 3rd European Summer School in
Language, Logic and Information, Saarbruecken.
- 1998 10-hour course on "Model theory", 10th European Summer School in Language, Logic and Information, Saarbruecken.
- 1999 Short course on "Advanced logic", Summer School in Logic, Universal Algebra and Theoretical Computer Science, Rand Afrikaans University, Johannesburg.
- 2003 Short course on "Composition of meanings", University of Duesseldorf.
- 2003 Short course on "Logic", Conference on Logic and Linguistics, Tbilisi.
Schools and student societies
- 1985 Sixth-form mathematics conference, Royal Holloway and Bedford New
- 1986 Eton College.
- 1988 Student Mathematical Society, University of Surrey.
- 1989 Weekend conference for students from King's College, London.
- 1989 Student Mathematical Society, King's College London.
- 1991 Skegness Grammar School.
- 1992 Omsk State University, Siberia (on British universities).
- 1992 International University, Moscow (on British universities).
- 1993 North London Collegiate School.
- 1994 Conference for women prospective students, University College, London.
- 1995 Cerberus Club, Balliol College, Oxford.
- 1996 Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe.
- 1996 Popular Schools Lecture, Liverpool Mathematics Association.
- 1996 The PPE Society, Oxford.
- 1997 The PPE Society, Oxford.
- 1997 Invariants, Oxford.
- 1998 Borehamwood Gifted Children's Association.
- 2001 Kings College Mathematics Society, Cumberland Lodge, Windsor.
- 2001 De Morgan Society, University College London.
- 2002 Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School, Notting Hill.
- 2007 Kings College Mathematics Society, Cumberland Lodge, Windsor.
- 2010 Edinburgh University Philosophy Society.
Invited institute visits
- 2001 Mittag-Leffler Institute, Stockholm, 'Mathematical Logic', Dag Norman et al. (one month).
- 2006 Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge, 'Logic and Algorithms', Anuj Dawar and Moshe Vardi (one month).
- 2001 Coulter McDowell Annual Lecture, Royal Holloway (on Pythagoras and music).
- 2001 Christmas Lecture, Culham Science Centre (on geometry of music).
- 2003 Third Annual Venn Lecture, Hull (on geometry of music).
- 2008 Big Ideas Group, The Wheatsheaf, Goodge Street London (on logic versus rationality).
- 2009 Greenwich Time Symposium, National Maritime Museum, Greenwich (on music and time).
- 2009 Gresham College (on geometry of music).
- 2013 Lindström Lectures (on Ibn Sina's logic), Göteborg.
Examining, assessment and degree administration
- Ph.D. examining and assessment for the universities of Birmingham
(2000), Bristol (1971), Helsinki (1991), IC London (Computing) (1986,
1988, 1991, 1993), Leeds (1994, 2002), Manchester (1977), Middlesex
(1999), Oxford (1979, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1993), Paris (1991, 1994,
1998), Sussex (2001), Tübingen (1988), Uppsala (2000).
- M.Phil. examining for London School of Economics, London University (1983), Kings College London (2000).
- External examiner in Logic for Mathematics M.Sc., University of Leeds 1976-9.
- External examiner in Logic for Mathematics
M.Sc., University of Nottingham 1979-1982.
- London University panel of examiners in Mathematics for course-unit courses in colleges of education 1978-9, 1980-6.
- Subject coordinator in Logic and Foundations for London University M.Sc. in Pure and Applied Mathematics 1977-9,
- Block coordinator for Block III (Pure: Algebra) for the London
University M.Sc. in Mathematics 1986-90.
- Coordinator of M.Sc. in Mathematics for SERC-funded students at London University 1982-90.
- SERC interviewing panel for Advanced Fellowships in Mathematics 1986.
- London University Scholarships Committee 1989-93.
- External examiner for BSc Mathematics, University of Leeds 1992-4.
- Visiting examiner in Pure
Mathematics, Imperial College London 1994-7.
- EPSRC Panel to Award
Earmarked and Case Studentships, February 1995.
- EPSRC College in
- External expert, appointment committee for
Developmental Chair in Logic, University of Leeds, 1995.
- Chair, Panel of
judges for the IGPL/FoLLI Prize for the best idea in pure or applied
logic in the year 1995, 1996.
- EPSRC Pure Mathematics Research Grants
panel, July 1996.
- Chair of External Assessors, Institute of Logic,
Language and Computation, University of Amsterdam, September 1996.
- Chair, EPSRC Pure Mathematics Research Grants panel, November 1996.
- Invited member of Scientific Committee of the Equipe de Logique
Mathématique (UPRESA 7056) of the CNRS for review, 10 March 1998.
- External examiner in Pure Mathematics, University of Birmingham
- Chair of Subject Panel in Mathematics and Convener of
Specialist Group in Mathematics, University of London 1998-2002.
- Elector for Chair in Mathematical Logic, Oxford University 1998-9.
- External examiner for MSc in Computational Linguistics, Kings College, London 2000-3.
- External examiner in pure mathematics for BSc, University of
- External advisor in Mathematics and Computation, Open
- Chair of Subject Area Board B, University of London,
2001-3 (Deputy Chair till 2005).
- EPSRC MathFIT panel 2003.
- Advising Committee for a personal chair at ILLC, Amsterdam, 2003.
- Kurt Goedel Fellowship Committee 2007-8.
- AERES Evaluation Committee for the Institute of Mathematics at the University of Lyon, 2010.
- AERES Evaluation Committee for the Institut de Mathématiques de Jussieu, Paris 7, 2013.
Organising and committee work, mostly in the field of logic
- 1974-?? Editorial Board of Journal of Philosophical Logic.
- 1979-87 Editor, Journal of Symbolic Logic.
- 1981-2 Elected coordinator of
editorial board, Journal of Symbolic Logic.
- 1983-7 Editor for
survey/expository papers, Journal of Symbolic Logic (with brief to
establish new section of journal).
- 1988-96 Advisory editor in Logic and
Set Theory, London Mathematical Society journals.
- 1989- Editorial Board of journal Logic and Computation.
- 1991-2005 Editorial Board,
Perspectives in Logic (book series of Association for Symbolic Logic;
formerly the Springer series Perspectives in Mathematical Logic);
Managing Editor from 1999.
- 1992-2002 Editor, Mathematical Logic
- 1994- Editorial Board, Bulletin of the Interest Group in Pure
and Applied Logics (now the Logic Journal of the IGPL).
- 1996-9 Project Manager, LMS Journal of Computation and Mathematics.
- 1998-2010 Editorial Board, de Gruyter book series Logic and its Applications.
- 2003- Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Logic.
- 2005- Editorial Board, FoLLI Publications on
Logic, Language and Information, Springer-Verlag.
- 2007 with Johan van Benthem and Helen Hodges: Guest Editor, volume on Logic and Cognition, Topoi 26 (2007) pp. 1-165.
- 2007 Advisory Board, Texts in Logic and
Games, Amsterdam University Press.
- 2009 with Ruy de Queiroz: Guest Editor, WoLLIC 08 special issue of Journal of Computer and System Sciences.
- 2009-2014 Advisory Board, Journal of Computer and System Sciences.
Meeting organisation and Programme Committees
- 1970 Conference in Mathematical Logic - London '70, Bedford College,
London (organising secretary).
- 1977, 1978, 1981 Meeting of Model Theorists, Bedford College, London
- 1984 Conference in Mathematical Logic, Manchester (programme committee).
- 1985 Conference in Mathematical Logic, Paris (programme committee).
Conference in Mathematical Logic, Hull (programme committee).
Oberwolfach meeting on Model Theory of Modules (organising committee);
Durham Symposium on Model Theory and Groups (organising committee).
- 1990 Conference in Mathematical Logic, Helsinki 1990 (programme
- 1992 4th European Summer School in Language, Logic and
Information, Colchester (programme committee).
- 1993 European meeting of
Association for Symbolic Logic, Keele (programme committee chair); LMS
day conference 'Benefits of a unified computing and mathematics
undergraduate course', London (chair).
- 1994 Conference in Mathematical Logic, Alma-Ata (programme
- 1995 Conference of Kurt Goedel Society and Italian Logic
Association, Florence (programme committee); Human Capital and Mobility
summer school on Model Theory of Groups and Automorphism Groups,
Blaubeuren (programme committee chair); Section on Model Theory, Set
Theory and Formal Systems, for Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of
Science, Florence (section chair).
- 1997 European meeting of Association
for Symbolic Logic, Leeds (programme committee).
- 1998 Logic and Philosophy of Logic, 20th World Congress of
Philosophy, Boston (section chair).
- 1999 Joint meeting of Belgian
Mathematical Society and London Mathematical Society, Brussels
(programme committee); International Congress in Logic, Methodology and
Philosophy of Science, Kraków (section chair); European meeting of
Association for Symbolic Logic, Utrecht (programme committee chair);
First Southern African Summer School and Workshop on Logic, Universal
Algebra and Theoretical Computer Science, Johannesburg (advisory board)
- 2004 Workshop on Knowledge and Games, Liverpool (programme committee).
- 2005 Logic and Language, Batumi (Georgia) (programme committee).
- 2007 International Congress in Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Beijing (section programme committee); WoLLIC 2007 (programme
- 2008 WoLLIC 2008, Edinburgh (programme committee chair).
- 2010 ESSLLI 2010, Copenhagen, workshop on Dependence and Independence in Logic (programme committee).
- 2013 International Congress of History of Science and Technology, Manchester: symposium on Arabic Foundations of Science (with Ahmad Hasnaoui).
- 2015 George Boole 200, Cork, August 2015, theme 'From Boole's Algebra of Logic to Boolean Algebra, and Beyond' (steering committee).
- 2015 International Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Helsinki: symposium on Arabic Logic.
- 1977-9 Executive Committee for European Affairs, Association for
- 1978-80 Council, Association for Symbolic Logic.
- 1981 with A. J. Ostaszewski, set up Polish Mathematical Book Fund (supported by London Mathematical Society from 1982).
- 1982 Nominating committee, Association for Symbolic Logic.
- 1983-4 Ad hoc committee of Association
for Symbolic Logic on the future of the Association.
- 1984- Committee on
professional rights of logicians, Association for Symbolic Logic. (Chair
- 1988 Nominating committee, Association for Symbolic Logic.
- 1989-2000 London Mathematical Society Computer Science Committee
(Chair from 1990 to 1994).
- 1989-95 Scientific Council, European
Foundation for Logic, Language and Information (FoLLI).
- 1989 Ad hoc committee of Association for Symbolic Logic, on revision of the Newsletter.
- 1990-5 President, British Logic Colloquium.
- 1990-6 Council, London Mathematical Society.
- 1990-1 London Mathematical Society
representative on Executive Committee of Save British Science.
- 1993-5 Working Party on Former Soviet Union, LMS Council.
- 1993-8 Personnel and Office Management Committee, LMS Council.
- 1994-6 Executive Committee, Association for Symbolic Logic.
- 1994-5 Nominating Committee, Association for Symbolic Logic.
- 1994-5 Hon. Secretary, British National Committee for Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science.
- 1994 EPSRC meeting to advise on earmarked areas between Mathematics and Computer Science.
- 1995-6 President, European Association for Logic, Language and Information (FoLLI).
- 1996-7 Vice-President, London Mathematical Society.
- 1998-02 Committee on Electronic Publishing and Communication (CEIC) of
International Mathematical Union.
- 2009- Philosophy Section Standing Committee, British Academy.
- 2011-4 Chair, British Academy Section H12 Philosophy.
Author : Wilfrid Hodges
Last updated 4 June 2016